Share as PDF
Tips and Hints
The Kudos Shareable PDF enables you to:
- Maximize the readership counts for your work by consolidating all readership in one place, ensuring that statistics reported to your institution, publisher and funder are as complete as possible.
- Share your work via scholarly collaboration networks (like ResearchGate, Academia.edu and Mendeley) in a fully copyright-compliant way and with added-value content that will help more people find, understand and develop an interest in your work.
- Easily compare the results of your sharing via these networks with the results of your other efforts to share (e.g. social media, email, blogs, posters).
What's the benefit of the shareable PDF?
Kudos has always helped researchers make work more visible, and track sharing via email, social media, blogs, posters and other places that you can share a link. Shareable PDF now enables you to track sharing in sites where you can't share a link by itself - sites that require you to upload a PDF in order to list your work. This means you can:
- share with confidence - without having to worry about potential copyright violation.
- track and compare interest in publications across the different ways you disseminate your work.
- make the best possible decisions as to where to invest the little time available for dissemination.
How does it work?
- Generate your PDF: The 'Author view' of your publication in Kudos now includes a 'Share as PDF' option. This will generate a PDF version of the article summary you have created in Kudos.
- Share it: You can upload this summary PDF to any website you choose, including your own website, institutional or subject repositories and scholarly collaboration networks such as ResearchGate, Academia.edu or Mendeley (see our guidance below).
- Track it: The summary PDF contains a trackable link to the full text of your article on the publisher's website. This means that you will now see statistics in your Kudos Hub about views of your work that have resulted from sharing via ResearchGate, Academia.edu and Mendeley, enabling you to compare the effect of sharing on these websites with other efforts to share.
Please note: Shareable PDFs can currently only be generated for articles published by a subset of publishers partnering with Kudos. The list of participating publishers is growing quickly; please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to know which publishers this is available for, or to suggest publishers that you'd particularly like included. Alternatively, please contact your publisher directly and ask them to consider participation in Kudos.
How do I share to ResearchGate?
If the article is not yet listed on your ResearchGate profile:
- Log into researchgate.net, click 'Add new' and choose 'Published research' and 'Article'.
- Choose 'Manual entry', drag and drop the attached file or upload it from your hard drive via 'Select file'.
- Edit the title if necessary, then 'Agree' to the terms and conditions. Remember, your publisher fully endorses you sharing this version of the work.
- If ResearchGate 'finds a match' for the publication title, choose 'No - create new publication'.
- You may need to 'remove the DOI' to complete the process of adding the article to your profile.
- Choose the project to which the work relates.
- Click 'Finish' and then 'Go to your publications'. You should now see your summary PDF there, including the 'Read publication' link to the full text.
If the article is already listed:
- Log into researchgate.net, click on the top right to open your profile, and choose 'contributions'.
- Find the listing for this article and choose "upload full text" and then "share publicly" - your publisher fully endorses you sharing this version of the work!
- Choose "select file from your computer" and then upload the file from your hard drive
- Agree to the terms and conditions and finish ("close")!
How do I share to Academia.edu?
- Log into academia.edu, click 'Upload' and either drag and drop the attached file or upload it from your hard drive.
- Continue and choose 'published work'.
- Edit the title if necessary.
- Save and finish.
How do I share to Mendeley?
- Log into mendeley.com/library and go to 'My publications'.
- If this publication is already listed: choose it from the list 'click or drag file here' (cloud symbol on the right) to upload the attached file from your hard drive.
- If the publication is not yet listed, go to 'Add' (top left) and 'Import document' to select and upload the attached file from your hard drive.